​Frequently Asked Questions

How do I defer a loan?

To defer repayment of student loans, Division students must send or deliver the completed loan deferment documents to the appropriate office as shown below. Approximately one week is required for the Registrar to process deferment forms. Most loan deferment documents must be submitted every semester. Entering students must wait until the first day of classes to defer loans.

Ph.D. students (including M.D./Ph.D. students in the graduate phase of their program):
Office of Student Records
Women's Building, Suite 10
Campus Box 1143

M.D./Ph.D. students in the medical phases of their programs:
Room 100 McDonnell Sciences Building
Campus Box 8021


Do students get travel money?

The Division provides up to $600 toward travel expenses for all students during their graduate training (research meeting, conference or career development). Students may request use of the Division travel funds after the thesis proposal has been approved by the Thesis Advisory Committee.  Any exceptions to these requirements must be approved by the Program Director and the Associate Dean of Graduate Education (DBBS). Students must complete the Travel Funds Request Form (MS Word​)and turn it in to the Graduate Student Coordinator. Washington University does not reimburse business expenses on a per diem basis. Reimbursements are based on actual expenses incurred and an original, detailed receipt for each expense must be provided. Automobile expenses will be reimbursed at the current IRS mileage rate; gas receipts cannot be reimbursed (if the mileage reimbursement exceeds the cost of air travel, the amount of the reimbursement will be the lesser airfare). If the cost of the trip is greater than $600, the additional expense must be paid by a source other than DBBS. Travel on United States Flag carriers should be used to the maximum extent possible and is required for all international travel. Alcoholic beverages will NOT be reimbursed. 

FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVELERS: When traveling internationally, DBBS asks students to review the WashingtonUniversity International Travel Policy and strongly encourages the completion of the International Travel Registry​. Both documents can be found on the Washington University Global Opportunities website: http://sa.wustl.edu.

PLEASE NOTE: If total expenses of the trip exceed $600 (and the thesis mentor will be providing the additional funds), the student should turn all receipts in to his/her thesis department. That department will contact the Financial Analyst (
Sarah Kalkbrenner, kalkbrenners@wustl.edu​) for the $600. If the total expenses are less than $600, all receipts should be turned in to the student coordinator and a travel expense report completed.​

Do students get vacation/sick time off?

Student appointments to the Division are considered to be 52-week appointments and do not follow academic vacation schedules. Planned absences should be approved by the supervisor and unplanned absences reported to them. “Supervisors” in the graduate years are program directors, rotation mentors, MTE supervisors and/or thesis mentors, as is appropriate. For MSTP students during their medical training, the Director of the MSTP program will serve as the supervisor. The total amount of excused absence should be consistent with that of academic employees of the University. This would include: University approved holidays; 22 days of vacation; and 12 days of sick time off annually. Sick time off and vacation are not carried over from year to year, are not accrued (available from time of appointment) and are not subject to payout at the termination of the graduate student appointment. Therefore, informal monitoring of this time off by supervisors and students will normally be sufficient. For students in Ph.D. training, disputes between supervisors and students should be addressed by the Program Director. For MSTP students in medical training, disputes between supervisors and students will be resolved by consensus between the MSTP Director and the clinical supervisor.

What is HIPAA and why do students have to complete HIPAA training?

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act ("HIPAA") is a federally mandated act that gives healthcare providers guidelines for maintaining the confidentiality of protected health information (PHI). Washington University has developed policies to ensure that our organization complies with HIPAA. Entering students in DBBS are required to complete the training to meet the requirements of these policies.

Who can I contact regarding problems with my WUSTL Key or email account?

Wustl Key (login/password recovery, how-to, support, etc.):  http://connecthelp.wustl.edu/Pages/GettingStarted.aspx​

Email (login, support, client set-up, how-to, etc.):  https://it.wustl.edu/​

Follow us: