Through our supportive and collegial learning environment, DBBS is committed to your personal and professional development. Beyond an excellent education, throughout your graduate training you’ll have access to career guidance and resources, additional pathways to enhance your PhD, camaraderie and friendship among your fellow students, support from faculty and staff, campus groups and more.
DBBS and our Community Engagement and Co-Curricular Education Team (CECE) are committed to the following statements and ideals:
CECE strives to advance diversity, equity and inclusion in DBBS, at WashU and in the greater St. Louis community by promoting a culture where trainees enrolled in our programs can bring their full, authentic selves into our environments. We accomplish this by developing opportunities outside of lab that promote career readiness, managing self & others, and DEI skills.
We believe diversity and equity in bioscience research enhances innovation by enriching the depth and variety of thought and perspectives which stimulates creativity and discovery.
Success in science requires many skills beyond content knowledge. In the co-curricular domain, students will gain inclusivity, collaboration, communication, resiliency and leadership skills that will propel their success.Steve Mennerick, PhD
Interim Associate Dean for Graduate Education
We hope to uphold the following values at the center of our programs and practices:
- Promoting equity and equitable practice (through an understanding of systems of power and domination).
- Fostering a network of individuals committed to holistic student development.
- Support trainees’ wellness to encourage individuals bringing their full, authentic selves to their work and work environments.
- Facilitating inclusive learner-centered environments.
- Bringing students and community members on the margins of society into the forefront of the bioscience research enterprise.
- Elevating and empowering trainees and trainee voices.
- Providing a venue for alumni to share their time, talent and treasure.